This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Last updated on September 28th, 2020
I’ve been hearing about watermelon margaritas for years, but not being a fan of fruity cocktails I was never really motivated to try one. My drink of choice is usually my Keto Margarita, which has all the flavors of your typical ‘rita, without any added sugar. Then, a couple of weeks ago, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson posted a video on Instagram that explained how to make a watermelon margarita with his tequila, Teremana. He made it look so easy, and I just happened to have a bottle of Teremana and some watermelon on hand. And, well, it’s The Rock, so I figured it must be good. I was right.
My Spicy Watermelon Margarita is a slight variation of The Rock’s recipe. I don’t use agave in mine because I find the fresh watermelon to be just sweet enough. The drink gets some heat from the addition of a few jalapeño slices, for a cocktail that I think creates the most refreshing, sweet/salty/spicy combo that one could possibly sip while soaking in the summer sunshine.
Reposado is my tequila of choice, preferably Milagro, Espalòn, or Teremana, but use your favorite. A silver or blanco tequila also works wonderfully in this recipe. Fresh lime juice is going to give you the brightest, freshest flavor, but if you must substitute for bottled juice you’ll need about 1 ounce. You can skip the salted, sugared rim if you like, but it does add to the sweet and salty flavor, and it also makes for a very pretty presentation. Feel free to omit the jalapeño if you’re not one for spicy cocktails. The drink is delicious with our without it, and you’ll probably want to triple the recipe to make a whole pitcher.
P.S. This is not a paid post sponsored by Teramana. I’m just a fan of The Rock, and it just so happens his tequila is delicious!
Spicy Watermelon Margarita
- 1/2 oz agave syrup Optional.
- Juice of 1 lime
- 5 cubes watermelon
- 2 oz tequila I prefer reposado. Silver also works great.
- 2 or 3 slices jalapeño
- Sugar,salt, and lime zest Optional, to rim the glass.
- Add your agave, lime juice, and watermelon to a cocktail shaker. Muddle the watermelon well, breaking down the chunks as much as possible.
- Add in about 3/4 cup ice cubes, jalapeños, and tequila. Cover your shaker tightly, and give it a good shake for about 2 minutes. The longer you shake it, the better those watermelon chunks will be broken down.
- Rub a lime wedge over the edge of your cocktail glass. On a small plate, combine equal parts salt and sugar, and a bit of lime zest. Press the edge of your cocktail glass in to the sugar/salt mixture.
- Pour your cocktail in to your glass, and garnish with a small watermelon slice and a couple jalapeño rings. Cheers!