This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
When it comes to desserts, I can’t think of many things more decadent than a rich, fudgy brownie. This variation is dairy free, gluten free, and the perfect combination of sweet chocolate with a subtle kiss of peppermint.
I use Earth Balance unsalted plant-based butter sticks in this recipe. You can also substitute the plant based butter with melted coconut oil, or canola oil.
Organic cane sugar is what I’m using to make these, but you could substitute this with raw sugar or coconut sugar as well.
I’ve used Bob’s Red Mill gluten free 1 to 1 all purpose flour and Arrowhead Mills gluten free flour in this recipe with great results. It’s important to note that gluten free flours do vary depending on the brand that you use, particularly in the ingredients. Depending on the brand that you’re using, you may find that your results and/or baking time differ slightly from what I’ve listed here.
I recommend to begin checking your brownies with a toothpick or cake tester starting at 20 minutes. Your tester will pull small, moist crumbs but the batter should not be raw and the middle should not be jiggling. 45 minutes is the perfect cooking time in my oven with the two flours I’ve listed above, but keep a close eye on your brownies from 20 minutes onward to be on the safe side.
Dairy Free Gluten Free Peppermint Brownies
- 1 cup gluten free 1 to 1 flour I used Bob's Red Mill
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 14 tbsp unsalted plant based butter Melted. See notes for substitutions.
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 candy cane crushed
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together all of the dry ingredients.
- Create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add in your wet ingredients. Mix the batter just until it's moist and well combined.
- Gently fold in your chocolate chips. You can also fold in half of your candy cane if you'd like, or save the whole thing to sprinkle over the top. I like to sprinkle mine over the top for a festive look.
- Add your batter to your prepared baking pan, and sprinkle the top with the crushed candy cane.
- Bake your brownies for about 45 minutes. Depending on the brand of flour you use, the baking time will vary. I start checking mine at about 20 minutes. A cake tester should come out with a bit of batter on it, but it shouldn't be raw.
- Once the brownies are cooked through, let them cool in the pan on a wire baking rack.
Did you make these Dairy Free Gluten Free Peppermint Brownies?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and rate the recipe. Be sure to tag @milkfreemom on Instagram and hashtag it #milkfreemom.