This post was last updated on October 31st, 2020 at 03:43 pm
This Vegan Quinoa & Sweet Potato Chili is loaded with flavor and vitamins, and everyone in the family will ask for a second bowl. It’s easy to prepare, takes just over a half hour to get on the table, and the best part?!?! There’s only one pot to clean!!
I love to eat this chili with some avocado, crushed tortilla chips, and a generous splash of Cholula Hot Sauce. It’s also great to use on top of nachos, or wrapped up in a flour tortilla for a vegan burrito. The spice and heat are mild, which makes this is a kid-friendly dish.
If you’re entertaining, this is a great vegetarian option to offer guests. You can also make the chili in advance for meal prep, or to pack in lunchboxes.
Vegan Quinoa & Sweet Potato Chili
- 29 oz canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 1 onion peeled and diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 cup quinoa
- salt and pepper to taste
- avocado and cilantro for garnish optional
- Heat the oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium low heat. Add onions, and cook until soft and they start to turn brown (about 10 minutes).
- Add the garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the beans, stock, and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper .
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the quinoa.
- Continue cooking for about 15 minutes – 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until quinoa and potatoes are cooked and the chili has thickened. Add a bit of water if the chili becomes too thick for your liking.
- Top with avocado and chopped cilantro if using.