If you're short on time or looking for a simple make-ahead meal you'll love this easy slow cooker chicken chili. To make it you'll just need to put all of the ingredients into your slow cooker, turn it on, and and let it cook. It's nourishing, filling, and low on heat (kid-friendly).
I make this recipe all year round and love it for meal prepping. The longer chili sits the more flavorful it becomes, which makes this a perfect meal to prepare ahead of a busy week. My teenager likes to pack this for school lunch in his LunchBots container, and I often double the recipe so I get can take a night off from cooking. This is a fairly thick chili, so it can also be used to make quesadillas or enchiladas.
Ingredients For This Easy Chicken Chili
- Chicken Breast - I'm using boneless chicken breast in this chili to keep things lean and low fat.
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes - I love the smokiness of fire roasted tomatoes in this chili, but you can also use traditional diced tomatoes if that's what you have on hand.
- Tomato Purée - This is what will help thicken the chili and give it that deep tomato base.
- Onion, Pepper, and Garlic - The ultimate trio to add nutrients and fresh flavor.
- Beans - Not everyone likes beans in their chili, but I absolutely love them. They're loaded with fiber and keep me full for hours.
- Spices - You'll only need oregano, chili powder, and cumin from the spice pantry. They bring all of that traditional smoky, mildly spicy chili flavor.
What To Serve With This Chili
We love to top this chili with some fresh avocado slices and a whole lot of cilantro. You can also add some crumbled tortilla chips and dairy-free cheese if you'd like. It's great with my dairy-free cornbread and margaritas!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! According to the USDA, "The direct heat from the pot, lengthy cooking, and steam created within the tightly-covered container combine to destroy bacteria and make the slow cooker a safe process for cooking foods."
I don't recommend it, but you could. In my experience, the texture of the chicken when cooked from frozen is just not enjoyable for me. You would also need to increase the cooking time to at least 12 hours to ensure the chicken is cooked through.
My son has been enjoying this recipe since he was 8 years old and hated spicy food. We describe it as smoky rather than spicy.
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- 28 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 16 oz tomato purée
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 14 oz black beans canned or precooked, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz red kidney beans canned or precooked, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- Add all of your ingredients in to your slow cooker and mix well.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Taste for salt and adjust to your taste.
Other Recipes To Try