This post was last updated on May 5th, 2021 at 05:56 pm
I really love a traditional margarita, but I don’t love all the sugar. This Keto Friendly Margarita is my go-to skinnier version, made without sugar and all the junk in those pre-made mixes. It’s my go-to summer cocktail because it’s cold, refreshing, and full of bright lime flavor. Summer nights on the porch with one of these in my hand is my favorite way to end the day after running around between summer camps, playdates, and the local pool.
I usually make this at home without any sweetener or orange juice, but I do add it for company. The orange juice adds in more citrus flavor and helps give it that margarita color without artificial mixers. Occasionally I’ll switch it up and add a splash of pineapple or pomegranate juice for a bit of variation.
I like these on the strong side, but feel free to reduce the tequila to 6 ounces if it’s too much for you. I top it with a splash or two of seltzer for a little bubble, which I suppose would technically make this a margarita spritzer, but who cares when it’s this delicious and refreshing.
I prefer reposado tequila, but silver also works great in these margaritas. Some of my favorite tequilas are Espolòn, Milagro, and Teremana. Feel free to use your favorite!
Keto Friendly Sugar Free Margarita
- 8 ounces tequila I use Reposado. Current favorites are Espolon and Milagro
- juice of 2 1/2 limes about 1/3 cup
- 12 ounces lime flavored seltzer or mineral water
- 1 teaspoon liquid stevia optional
- splash or two of fresh 100% pure orange juice (optional)
- lime wedges for garnish optional
- sea salt for rims optional
- Fill your shaker with ice. Add in your tequila, lime juice, and stevia and orange juice if using. Give it a real good shake.
- Run your lime wedges around the edges of your glasses. Roll the glasses over a plate covered in salt.
- Pour the margaritas and ice into the glasses, and top with a splash or two of seltzer. Garnish with limes.