This dairy free egg casserole is a healthy, filling meal that’s perfect for meal prep, holidays, brunch, or entertaining overnight guests. I like to make it on Sunday to have breakfast all ready for the busy week ahead. It’s great served with some fresh fruit, a slice of toast, and some freshly squeezed orange juice.
My favorite hash browns to use in this dish are the organic seasoned hash browns by Alexia. The seasoning adds a bit more flavor to the dish, but you can always use plain hash browns and season them yourself. I take my hash browns out of the freezer and let them sit out while I’m cooking my bacon and veggies.
Your favorite bacon will work perfect in this dish, so feel free to use what you like. If you’d like to save time, you can also use pre-cooked bacon and skip the cooking time.
Plant-Based Milk or Water
You can use either dairy-free milk or water in this dish, so use what you have on hand. The function of the milk or water in this recipe is to add a bit of moisture so the potatoes don’t bake up dry, but a plant based milk will add a bit of creaminess.
Dairy Free Egg Casserole with Bacon, Potato, and Spinach
- 10 eggs
- 6 pieces of bacon
- 1 onion diced
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 1/4 cup plant based milk or water
- 1 lb frozen hash browns
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a large casserole or au gratin dish.
- Cook your bacon to your desired crispiness, and safely drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease from the pan.
- Add your onions in to the pan, and cook in the bacon grease until they're soft and start to brown.
- Stir in your spinach, and cook just until it's wilted. Salt and pepper to your taste and remove from the heat.
- Add your potatoes and veggies in to your prepared baking dish. Give it a little mix and spread it evenly on the bottom of the pan. Crumble the bacon evenly over the mixture.
- Whisk your eggs and water (or milk) in a medium sized bowl. Season with salt and pepper and pour evenly over your vegetables in the baking pan.
- Bake your casserole for about 30 minutes, until the middle is cooked through. Serve hot.
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.