We love fish in our house, and this Air Fryer Bang Bang Salmon is one of our favorites. Tender, juicy salmon is smothered in a sweet sauce with just enough heat to keep it kid friendly. The best part? It's super easy to make! You only need 6 ingredients and 5 minutes to prepare this, and it's ready in under 20 minutes. Perfect for those busy weeknights when you don't have a lot of time to cook.
Bang Bang sauce is a creamy mayonnaise-based sauce that's slightly sweet from chili sauce and typically made with sriracha to add some heat. In this recipe, I excluded the sriracha to make it a bit less spicy and more kid-friendly. It's salty and sweet with just a touch of heat.
What you'll need to make Air Fryer Bang Bang Salmon
- Mayonnaise - I like to use mayonnaise with avocado oil because I feel that it's a bit healthier, but use your favorite. This plays a big role in the flavor of your sauce, so use one that tastes good to you.
- Sweet Chili Sauce - If you aren't familiar with sweet chili sauce, this is a sticky, sweet, pepper sauce with just a touch of acid and salt. It's great with coconut shrimp!
- Rice Vinegar - This will help balance all that fat and sugar with a bit of acid.
- Salt & Pepper - Essential for any recipe.
- Green onions - This is the perfect garnish for Bang Bang Salmon and adds a gorgeous pop of color.
What to serve with this Bang Bang Salmon
I like to serve this with some steamed white rice and green veggies such as broccoli, sugar snap peas, or a simple side salad. The salmon has big flavor, so I like to keep the side dishes simple.
Tips for making this Salmon
- Using aluminum foil or an alternative on your air fryer baking tray will make for easier cleanup. If your air fryer only has a basket, I recommend lining the basket so the sauce doesn't drip everywhere and make a mess. Mix your sauce in a bowl large enough to dip your salmon filets to evenly coat them in the sauce. After you coat your salmon in the sauce, add it to your lined basket and discard the remaining sauce.
- Don't overcook the salmon. Use a food thermometer to check for doneness, and avoid overcooking. You want to retain that juicy, moist texture.
- Preheat your air fryer. You want to give that baby some time to heat up to ensure even cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
I use a Cuisinart multi purpose air fryer that comes with a baking sheet and an air frying basket.
Sure! It'll be much more juicy and tender in the air fryer but the oven works too. Bake it at 425°F, and be aware that you may need to increase the cooking time. Be sure to check the fish with your kitchen thermometer.
Yes! I recommend eating leftovers within 2 days.
Air Fryer Bang Bang Salmon
- 1 pound fresh raw salmon
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F and spray your rack. If you have one of the larger air fryers that uses a cookie sheet you can line your sheet with some foil.
- Mix your sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Season your salmon with salt & pepper then brush or spoon your sauce over all sides. If you’re using a rack in your air fryer it’s better to prep your salmon on a separate cutting board so all the sauce doesn’t make a mess in your fryer.
- Place your salmon in the air fryer and cook it for about 15 minutes or until the internal temp reaches 145°F (I cook to 125°F but USDA recommends 145°F)
- Top with freshly chopped green onion.