These vegan stuffed peppers is packed with protein and fiber, and you won’t miss the meat at all. Fantastic as is, or topped with a bit of vegan mozzarella, either way these peppers will fill you up and having you reach for seconds. They can be a bit of work, but you can cut down the time by using leftover rice and canned lentils.
Vegan Stuffed Peppers
- 2 cups lentils canned, rinsed and drained. Or dry beans that have been prepared according to packaging directions.
- 1 cup rice cooked. Any rice will do, but I prefer a blend of Texmati white, brown, wild, and red cooked in vegetable stock
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp basil chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 green bell peppers blanched
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegan mozzarella shreds (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a large oven proof dutch oven or pot over medium low heat.
- Add the mushrooms and onions, and cook until onions are soft and mushrooms have browned.
- Add the garlic and cook for about two to three minutes more. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add your lentils, rice, and mushroom mixture. To that add your basil, oregano, fennel, and half the jar of marinara. Stir and combine well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In the pot you used to cook the onions and mushrooms, spread a thin layer of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the pan
- Fill each pepper with your lentil mixture, then place into your pot. Top each pepper with a scoop of marinara and a pinch or two of vegan mozzarella if you’d like. Put the lid on the pot, and bake in your preheated oven for 1/2 hour.
- Remove the lid from the pot, and cook for about 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool ten minutes, then serve!