This dairy-free taco chicken is a weekly go-to for me because it's so easy to prep, and there are plenty of leftovers to pack for lunches. It has all the smoky Mexican flavor, without being too spicy for the kids.
You can serve this in a lettuce wrap, salad, tacos, or in a burrito bowl. It's great with my Easy Taco Rice, or make it low carb by serving it with some cauliflower rice or roasted vegetables.
My favorite toppings for this chicken are shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, minced onion, chopped cilantro, a squeeze of lime, and a few drizzles of Cholula sauce. Leftovers will keep (covered) in the refrigerator, so this is great for meal prepping and batch cooking.
I use this taco chicken all the time to make these tasty burrito bowls. Just add some of the shredded chicken to your bowl with some beans (I love these ones from Fillo's), a healthy handful of greens, tomatoes, avocado, a generous drizzle of taco or Cholulah sauce, and some chile lime crema. You can use it for meal prep by packing your chicken and beans ahead of time, then add your vegetables the day you're ready to eat. So good!
You may also like:
Slow Cooker Dairy Free Taco Chicken
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock I like this one
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Pour the chicken stock in to the bottom of your slow cooker. Add in your chicken.
- Combine all of your spices in a small bowl, and sprinkle over both sides of chicken.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Shred the chicken, and stir it well in the slow cooker with the stock and spices.
- Turn off the cooker and let the chicken sit covered for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste for salt, and add in another ½ teaspoon if needed.