This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Last updated on May 22nd, 2022
This french toast casserole will knock your socks off! It’s full of fresh bursting blueberries, bright zesty lemon, and decadent, rich custard. This is a quick, easy recipe that serves one and can be made in your air fryer or oven. Options are included below to make this gluten free and/or vegan if needed.
Make this french toast gluten free
You can easily make this gluten-free by choosing an appropriate bread or croissant. I’ve tested this recipe with the vegan croissants from Whole Foods and with Udi’s gluten-free bread, both with success. Use your favorite, but avoid options that are more savory than sweet.
Make this french toast casserole egg free
Just Egg vegan egg substitute worked wonderfully in this, and there was no difference in flavor or texture when compared to my tests with traditional eggs. This does work with real eggs, so feel free to use those if you’d prefer.
Dairy Free Yogurt Options
I use the unsweetened Greek-style yogurt from Kite Hill in this and it works great. I’d stick to an unsweetened, Greek-style option to avoid your casserole from becoming overly sugary and runny. I’ve also tested this successfully with traditional dairy Greek-style yogurt, so feel free to use that if you’d like.
Yes, this recipe can be doubled. You’ll just need to adjust the cook time to at least 15 minutes depending on your air fryer oven.
Yes, you can use 1 large egg to replace the vegan Just Egg.
Yes, use dairy free yogurt to make this recipe dairy free.
Yes, see the post above for some delicious gluten free options.
Baked Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- 3/4 cup bread cubes I used Whole Foods vegan croissant
- 3 tbsp Just Egg 1 real egg can be used
- 3 tbsp dairy free greek style yogurt I used Kite Hill
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon zest + more for garnish
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- drizzle of maple syrup for garnish
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F. (see notes below for oven instructions)
- In a small bowl whisk together the Just Egg, yogurt, and maple syrup.
- Stir in your bread cubes until all the cubes are thoroughly coated and moistened.
- Gently fold in your lemon zest and blueberries.
- Pour your cube mixture into an oven-safe container that holds 18 ounces. Air fry your casserole for about 10 minutes until the center is set. Keep an eye on it to be sure the top doesn't brown too much or burn.
- Top your casserole with more lemon zest if you'd like and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Did you make this French toast casserole?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and rate the recipe.