You won’t miss the meat in this Vegan Shepherd’s Pie! It’s a hearty, comfort filled dish that’s much healthier than the classic version. Even the carnivore and toddler of the house enjoyed it, and there were plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day. The flavor and texture in this Shepherd’s Pie were fantastic, and I’ll definitely be this cooking well into spring. This is a great dish to make ahead, so feel free to double up on the recipe and make two pies!
We hope you love this Vegan Shepherd’s Pie recipe. You may also like:
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 lbs potatoes peeled and chopped into small chunks. I used red potatoes so I don't have to peel them.
- 1 onion diced
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 15 oz lentils canned, drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk unsweetened
- 6 oz frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add your onion, celery and mushrooms, and cook for about 10 minutes, until the mushrooms are brown and the onions are nice and soft.
- Add your garlic and carrots, cook for 2 minutes, then add your vegetable stock.
- Toss in your rosemary, cover, and bring to a boil. Lower your heat and continue on a low simmer for 45 minutes. Remove your rosemary sprig and discard. Add your lentils, and give it a nice stir.