This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
These frozen Snickers bananas are a delicious healthy treat and a tasty way to cool down on a hot day. Peanut butter and chocolate give these the perfect balance of salty-sweet flavor, and they only require a few minutes of work. They’re a great, healthier alternative to ice cream, and everyone in the family will love them!
What are Snickers bananas?
If you’re in a part of the world that isn’t familiar with Snickers, a brief explanation. Snickers are a milk chocolate candy bar filled with sweet nougat, chewy caramel, and crunchy peanuts. These frozen banana bites mimic that flavor and texture but with much healthier ingredients and a bit of variation. In this recipe, I’m using fresh bananas, salty peanut butter, melted chocolate, and a few crunchy peanuts to satisfy those Snickers cravings. And while they’re quite different from the original Snickers bar, they do hit just right when those cravings for something salty-sweet kick in.
What you’ll need:
- 2 ripe bananas (not overripe, you don’t want brown spots)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (I like creamy but you can use crunchy too)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (I used Hu dark chocolate gems to keep these healthier)
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts (you can eliminate this if you’re using crunchy peanut butter)
How to make these healthy frozen banana bites:
- Slice your bananas in to quarters. Lay them with the cut side up on a small parchment lined baking sheet that will fit in to your freezer.
- Drizzle each banana slice with your peanut butter. If the peanut butter is too thick to drizzle, try microwaving it for about 30 seconds to warm up the oils. This should help thin it out and make it easier to drizzle.
3. Melt your chocolate and drizzle it over the peanut butter.
4. Top your chocolate with the chopped peanuts.
5. Pop your tray of bananas in to the freezer and freeze them for about 2 hours. Once they’re frozen you can transfer them to a freezer safe container for storing (or eat them all like we do).
Nope! If you’re bananas aren’t brown when they go in to the freezer, they won’t be brown when they come out.
I would not consider Snickers to be healthy. But, these Snickers bananas are made much healthier by using ingredients that are better for your body and have more nutritional value.
Chocolate can be healthier for you if you choose the right one. Look for a dark chocolate option or one made without refined sugars (I like Hu Chocolate Gems). Healthy means something different for everybody, and to me, it means enjoying the occasional sweet that still has nutritional value. This recipe checks all those boxes.
Yes! Frozen bananas are said to retain their nutrients and vitamins, and they’re a great source of potassium. Bananas do contain natural sugars so you should enjoy them in moderation. Speak to your doctor if you’re avoiding sugar or have a medical condition.
It is recommended to enjoy these within 3 months of freezing, but they probably won’t last that long.
Did you make these Healthy Frozen Snickers Bananas?
Please let me know how they turned out for you! Leave a comment below and rate the recipe.
If you like this recipe, try my Easy Banana Oat Bars!
Healthy Frozen Snickers Bananas
- Cut your bananas into fourths.
- Lay your bananas on a small parchment-lined cookie sheet that will fit in your freezer.
- Drizzle each banana slice with your peanut butter. You can microwave the peanut butter in a small bowl for 20-30 seconds if needed to make it more drizzleable.
- Melt your chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until completely melted, stirring after every 30 seconds. Mine took a minute and 30 seconds total.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the peanut butter
- Sprinkle the bananas with your chopped nuts.
- Freeze for two hours.
- Once frozen you can transfer these to a freezer bag or container.