This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Use up all those summer berries in this delicious Dairy-Free Berry Crisp! It’s easy to prep, gluten-free, vegan, and uses no refined sugar. The perfect naturally sweet dessert.
What you’ll need to make this Berry Crisp:
- fresh lemon juice
- maple syrup
- arrowroot starch (corn starch can be substituted)
- old fashioned oats
- coconut oil
- pinch of salt
I love this recipe because it’s easy to make and it’s naturally sweetened with fresh fruit and maple syrup. This is a healthier berry crisp in comparison to most recipes that call for lots of butter and sugar. Be sure to use berries that are nice and ripe. The more ripe the berry, the sweeter the crisp will be.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Be sure to use gluten free oats and your crisp will be free from gluten and wheat.
I find that this is plenty sweet for my family. Be sure to use berries that are not under-ripe, as the sweetness of the berries adds to the overall dish.
This should be stored in the refrigerator up to 4-5 days.
This recipe uses maple syrup rather than refined sugars. Although maple syrup does contain natural sugars, it also contains calcium, potassium, zinc, and manganese. Maple syrup is also said to have a lower glycemic index than sugar.
This recipe uses coconut oil instead of butter, which makes this recipe safe for anyone following a dairy free or vegan diet.
Summer Berry Crisp
For the topping
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the berries with the starch, vanilla, lemon, and maple syrup. Pour the mixture into an 8 x 8 pan or a pie dish.
- In the same mixing bowl combine the ingredients for the topping. Dollop and spread it over the berries, trying to cover them evenly.
- Bake the crisp for about 45 minutes, until the berries are bubbly and the top is lightly browned.
- Serve your crisp warm with coconut whipped cream or vegan vanilla ice cream.