This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
The only thing that excites me more than a sunny summer day is enjoying it on the patio with a tasty beverage in my hand. Usually, that beverage is this Summer Strawberry Spritzer. It’s bubbly, refreshing, and full of fresh strawberries and mint. The perfect summer sip.
What is a spritzer?
A spritzer is traditionally a tall chilled drink made with white wine and carbonated water. It’s light and fizzy and is said to have originated from Austria. Over the years mixologists have started shaking up different variations to include fresh fruits and other spirits, which is what I’ve done in this recipe. I also deviate from the traditional spritzer by eliminating the wine and adding in some fresh berries, lime wheels, and mint. If the mood strikes, feel free to try it with a shot of your favorite rum.
What do I need to make this spritzer?
To make this you’ll need:
- Strawberries – to add flavor and natural sweetness
- Lime – to add a bit of tartness
- Fresh Mint – for that bright, refreshing flavor of summer
- Mineral water – for bubbles
If you plan on using rum, you’ll need about 2 ounces of that too.
Frequently asked questions
A traditional spritzer is made with white wine, but canned variations with spirits like vodka and rum are becoming more popular. You can also make a spritzer nonalcoholic as I’ve done here.
A spritzer is traditionally made with white wine and soda water, while a spritz is made using sparkling wine, soda water, and bitters.
Yes, seltzer will work great in the recipe.
You can use frozen strawberries if you thaw them first. I prefer to use fresh very ripe strawberries because they release all of their sweet juices in to the drink.
If you’d like to make this an alcoholic beverage, I’ve tested this with rum, vodka, and tequila and they were all delicious.
Did you make this strawberry spritzer recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and rate the recipe.
Be sure to snap a pic! Tag @milkfreemom on Instagram and hashtag it #milkfreemom
Summer Strawberry Spritzer
- 3 large strawberries
- 4 lime wheels
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 additional sprig of mint
- 12 ounces mineral water or seltzer
- 2 ounces rum optional, if you want to make it boozy
- Add the strawberries, mint leaves, and lime slices to a tall cocktail glass.
- Muddle the fruit and mint gently to break them up just a bit and release some of the juices and oils.
- Fill with ice cubes and pour your mineral in. Add in your rum if you're using it.
- Give it a gentle stir and garnish with your mint sprig.
- Sip and enjoy!