This Vegan Apple Crumb Pie is full of sweet gooey apples, warm cinnamon, and a delicious sugar crumb topping that I personally favor over a traditional crust topper. I like to take a shortcut and use a premade, refrigerated pie crust for the base layer, but feel free to use your favorite recipe for a 9 inch crust.
I use this pie crust from Wholly Wholesome, which I buy at Whole Foods. Any 9 inch pie crust that you like will work here. Make sure to thaw it if it's frozen, and you don't have to prebake it.
I have tested this recipe with several varieties of apples, including Gala, Fuji, Pink Lady, and Honey Crisp. Fuji and Pink Lady apples are my favorite, so naturally I liked them best in this pie. Any of these variations will work deliciously, so feel free to try your favorite!
The Crumb Topping
I like to use coconut oil in my crumb topping, but plant based butter also works wonderfully here. I've also used coconut sugar in place of the brown sugar with great results. Be sure to use quick cooking oats, as other variations caused the crumb to be a bit too chewy.
Vegan Apple Crumb Pie
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup quick cooking oats
- ½ cup melted coconut oil about ¼ cup and 2 tablespoons if solid
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 3 cups diced apple about 4 apples
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 frozen vegan pie crust
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. In a large saucepan, prepare your filling. Whisk together your sugar, corn starch, and water. Bring to a boil, stirring until thickened (about ten minutes). Remove from heat, and stir in your cinnamon and vanilla. Fold in your apples and set aside.
- Combine your topping ingredients in a large bowl, until the mixture is moist and crumbly.
- Place your frozen pie crust on a cookie sheet. Pour in your apple filling, and sprinkle with topping.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Did you make this Vegan Apple Crumb Pie?
You might also like my Vegan Pumpkin Cake