This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
This vegan pumpkin cake has been an autumn family favorite for us the past few years, and it could not be more simple to make. Just stir the ingredients in one bowl, bake, and you have a delicious treat ready to be enjoyed!
You’ll want to make sure you use pure pumpkin purée in this recipe, not pumpkin pie filling. If you do use pumpkin pie filling, your cake may be too sweet and have too much pumpkin pie spice. My favorite pumpkin purée is this one by Farmer’s Market. I’ve also used this one by Libby’s with great success. You can also make this using puréed sweet potato or squash.
You can eat this as a snack cake, as-is, and it’s delicious. It’s also amazing when topped with a dairy free whip, or your favorite frosting. Vanilla, chocolate, maple, or vegan cream cheese frosting all taste delicious with this.
Vegan Pumpkin Cake
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin spice or 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon each of ginger, allspice, and nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 15 oz can pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup oil I used vegetable, but canola or coconut will work
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- Spray or grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, and preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing only until combined. Don’t overmix, or you’ll get a tough cake.
- Pour your batter in to your prepared dish and bake for about 45 minutes, or until a tester comes out of the middle of the cake clean.
- Top with your favorite vegan frosting, homemade coconut whip, a store bought frosting, or just have it sprinkled with a bit of powdered sugar and some cinnamon.
Did you make this Vegan Pumpkin Cake?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @milkfreemom on Instagram and hashtag it #milkfreemom. Don’t forget to pin it for later!