This Vegan Pumpkin Bread Pudding has all the flavors of pumpkin spice in a stick-to-your-ribs comfort food classic. It's over-the-top delicious, and perfect for a fall treat or as an addition to your holiday table.
You'll want to use day old bread for this recipe, but if you don't have that just toss what you have in to the toaster or oven for a few minutes to toast it up. I used a day old, lightly stale french bread, but cinnamon raisin, vegan challah, or italian bread will work. Gluten-free bread should work, but depending on the flour used in the bread, you could have varied results.
Depending on how stale your bread is, your pudding will have an amazing crunch on the top and be heavenly soft in the middle. The crunch on top will soften up a bit after being stored in the fridge overnight. It also softens if you top it with a sauce, ice cream, or whip cream.
I used raisins in this recipe, but you can also use nuts, chocolate chips, or dried cranberries. If you have someone in the family that doesn't like nuts, you can sprinkle them on later. A sprinkle of pumpkin seeds over the top after baking is also festive and adds some crunch.
This bread pudding is good as-is, but it's extra delicious with a topping of plant based whip cream and my Dairy-Free Brandy Butterscotch Sauce. You can also try it with a scoop of your favorite dairy-free ice cream and some chocolate sauce.
You may also like my Vegan Pumpkin Cake!
Vegan Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- 9 cups bread stale, cubed
- 1 cup raisins
- 1.25 cup plant based milk I used unsweetened almond
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 4 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ tsp salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of your ingredients except for the bread and raisins.
- Spray or grease a large casserole or au gratin dish.
- Spread your bread cubes and raisins evenly on the bottom of the dish.
- Pour your pumpkin mixture evenly over the bread cubes. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Bake your bread pudding for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Enjoy warm with a scoop of your favorite sauce and/or some vegan vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.