This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
These dairy free lemon blueberry pancakes are the fluffiest, most delicious pancakes I have ever made, and my tween wholeheartedly agrees. Lemon and blueberry are a match made in heaven if you ask me, and they’re the perfect addition to these sweet, pillowy pancakes.
What makes these pancakes unique is that they’re made with a dough-like batter. You may begin mixing and think, wait a minute. This looks like bread dough. Don’t be alarmed. This is a yeast dough that is very much like what you would mix to make bread, but it results in the fluffiest, softest pancakes that have a bit of a European style to them. It can be a bit sticky to work with, but they’re well worth the effort.
I prefer to top these pancakes with a generous shake of powdered sugar and some fresh berry compote. You can use my recipe here, and replace the strawberries with more blueberries. I highly recommend this way of enjoying the pancakes, but my son does enjoy them with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and some maple syrup. They’re even delicious straight out of the pan with just a dusting of sugar.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, so you can cook these up on Sunday and have breakfast ready for the whole week. They also freeze wonderfully if you’d like to save some for later. If you are freezing them, be sure not to top with the powdered sugar or compote. Place them in a single layer in a freezer safe container or bag. You can thaw them in the refrigerator over night, sprinkle them with a few drops of water to avoid drying them out, and microwave them for 30-60 seconds depending on your microwave. To thaw from frozen, sprinkle with water and heat on medium heat for about 60 seconds or until warmed through.
Dairy Free Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup nondairy milk of choice, warmed I use unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pint blueberries
- zest of 2 lemons
- powdered sugar for dusting
- berry compote for topping (optional)
- oil or nondairy butter for cooking
- Stir the yeast in to the warmed milk and let it sit while you mix the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add in your eggs, then pour in your milk with yeast.
- Mix this well, just until the ingredients are combined. Don't overwork it because the pancakes will be tough. The mixture will resemble bread dough, and not your typical pancake batter.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- After the batter has rested, gently fold in your blueberries and lemon zest.
- Heat a large nonstick pan or skillet over medium low heat. Melt some oil or nondairy butter in the pan. You can cook these in some nondairy butter or oil of your choice. I find that coconut oil cooks them nicely and adds a delicate, coconut flavor.
- I like to use an ice cream scoop with spring release to get these in the pan. The dough can be a bit tricky and sticky to work with at first, and you may want to gently shape it with your scoop or spoon once it's in the pan. Don't be discouraged, they're well worth the effort!
- Cook the pancakes on both sides until they're light golden brown and cooked through the middle. These are thick, fluffy pancakes, so you'll want to be sure you don't have the heat up too high or the outside will cook too fast and the centers will still be raw.
- Top with a generous shake of powdered sugar and some fresh blueberry compote.
Did you make these Dairy Free Lemon Blueberry Pancakes?
Please let me know how they turned out for you! Leave a comment below and rate the recipe.
Be sure to snap a pic! Tag @milkfreemom on Instagram and hashtag it #milkfreemom