Compote may sound like something fancy, old fashioned, and complicated, but it’s really a very simple and delicious dairy-free topping that can be used for so many things. I love to use this recipe with pancakes, french toast, overnight oats, ice cream, chia pudding, dairy-free yogurt, toast, banana bread, and between cake layers. My favorite way to eat this is on top of my gluten-free pancakes with a dollop of coconut whipped cream. The options are practically endless. The best part is that it’s made using fresh fruit, which means much less sugar compared to store bought toppings!
I prefer the compote without the added sugar or just a touch of coconut sugar, but my son likes it sweeter with the full teaspoon of sugar. I scoop out my unsweetened servings before I add the sugar in. You can add the sugar at the end if you’d like to see which you prefer.
Easy Strawberry Blueberry Compote
- 1 1/2 cup strawberries washed, hulled and sliced
- 1 1 /2 cup blueberries washed and checked for stems
- freshly squeezed juice from one orange or lemon
- 1 teaspoon sugar Optional. Coconut sugar, raw sugar, or organic cane sugar work great.
- Stir your ingredients together in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- When it starts to boil, reduce the heat and use a wooden spoon or potato masher to break up the fruit a bit. I prefer bigger chunks of fruit, but you can mash to your desired texture.
- Continue to cook the compote over a low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Let it cool and store leftovers in a covered jar.
Pin it for later: