This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
If you haven’t seen it yet, there’s a baked feta pasta recipe making waves on the internet. I’ve watched so many videos of people making this and it looked so easy and delicious that I just had to try making it dairy free. I give it my own spin here in this Vegan Baked Feta, with the addition of spinach and substitution of chickpeas for the pasta, for a Mediterranean, gluten free version. Consider me hooked.
I made this with the vegan feta from Violife, which melted wonderfully into a bubbling, creamy delight. The melted cheese combines with the juices of the tomatoes to become a velvety, savory sauce that wilts the baby spinach and makes everything rich and delicious. You won’t get a thick sauce like you do with real feta, but that doesn’t make it any less delicious.
This is a great, vegetable filled meal prep option that reheats perfectly. The cheese will solidify again once it’s cooled, but it melts perfectly when reheated. This would also make a delicious side dish, or a savory breakfast option. If you’re not vegan, it’s fantastic with a couple of runny yolk fried eggs on top.
Vegan Baked Feta
- 8 oz vegan block of feta I used Violife
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cups grape tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 30 oz canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1.5 tbsp freshly chopped basil
- 1.5 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 9 oz baby spinach
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Place your block of vegan feta in the center of a large 3 quart baking dish.
- Add your tomatoes, chickpeas, garlic, and herbs to the pan around the feta.
- Drizzle everything with your olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and gently mix the tomato and chickpea mixture to cover it in the oil. Don't mix up your feta, because we want to bake the block whole.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the tomatoes have burst a bit and released some of their juices.
- Gently stir in your spinach, and salt and pepper to taste.
Did you make this Vegan Baked Feta?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and rate the recipe.