This Vegan Spicy Salad is delicious if you’re craving Tex-Mex style flavor and heat, but want to keep it healthy. It’s loaded with fresh vegetables, protein from black beans, and plenty of flavor from lime and jalapeños. I like to add a bit more heat and drizzle it with some buffalo sauce. If you’re following a whole foods diet like Whole 30, or a lower carb diet like South Beach, this will fit in to your meal requirements perfectly while still leaving you feeling full and satisfied.
You can prepare this salad in minutes, making it the perfect, no-cooking-required summer meal. I love it for a light lunch, or as a side with my Sweet Potato Quesadillas and Keto Friendly Margarita. It’s also great rolled up in a tortilla with some vegan cheese shreds. Feel free to double the recipe to bring to summer cookouts or potlucks!
If you’d like to serve this to kids that may be sensitive to the heat, you can take out their portion before adding in the jalapeños. My little guy likes it as a side to some vegan cheese quesadillas with salsa for dipping. It packs great in this lunch box set for summer camp, school lunch, or picnics.
For variations of this recipe, you can also add in bite sized chunks of watermelon, some vegan cheese, diced cooked sweet potato, cooked corn, or some grilled peaches. To make it ahead, you’ll want to toss the salad together and store it in the refrigerator covered. Do not top it with avocado, oil, or juice until just before you eat it, or the vegetables will be wet and soggy.
Vegan Spicy Salad
- buffalo sauce drizzle for garnish (optional)
- 6 cups spring mix
- 1 bell pepper Sliced. Yellow or red works well.
- 1 jalapeño sliced thin
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup black beans Cooked, drained, and rinsed. Can be omitted for a low carb option.
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado diced
- Add all of the vegetables in to a big bowl and give it a toss.
- Combine the oil and lime juice in a small bowl.
- Drizzle salad with oil, lime juice, and buffalo sauce if using.
- Garnish with avocado and enjoy!