This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
This matcha mint smoothie is a simple recipe that’s perfect for post-workout protein or a quick, easy breakfast. It’s naturally sweetened with pineapple and has plenty of fresh, delicious mint flavor.
What is matcha?
Matcha is a finely ground powder made from green tea leaves and is traditionally consumed in East Asia. It is said to be high in EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate), which is believed to have cancer-fighting effects on the body. Matcha has a bright, slightly bitter taste that I find is offset by adding natural sweetener like the pineapple in this recipe. It has mellow grassy notes, with just a touch of nuttiness. You can enjoy it in hot or cold teas, in lattes, or added to smoothies like this one.
I like to use a Greek-style yogurt in this recipe because it’s full of protein and lends plenty of creaminess to the smoothie. Some dairy-free options to try are:
I’m using fresh mint in this smoothie because it adds lots of flavor and compliments the matcha and pineapple wonderfully. It adds tons of refreshing, bright notes to this and it also makes a beautiful garnish. Don’t be tempted to use frozen or prepackaged mint. It just won’t be as fresh and flavorful.
Mint Matcha Smoothie
- 1 cup greek style yogurt nondairy suggestions above
- 1/2 cup mint leaves loosely packed
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- Add all of your ingredients in to a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Depending on the yogurt you use, you may need to add 1/8 – 1/4 cup water to thin it out to your desired consistency.
- Pour it into a pretty glass, garnish with a fresh sprig of mint and enjoy!
Did you make this Matcha Mint Smoothie?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to rate the recipe.
Be sure to snap a pic! Tag @milkfreemom on Instagram and hashtag it #milkfreemom