This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
If you’re looking for chili that will get the approval of the whole family, this kid-friendly turkey chili checks all the boxes. It’s a bit healthier than traditional chili recipes while still delivering that deep, smoky, rich flavor. It’s hearty, filling, full of protein, and the whole family will love it.
I love to make a big pot of this on Sunday so I have an easy lunch option throughout the week. The chili becomes more flavorful after it rests overnight, which makes it perfect for meal prepping. It packs easily in a thermos (this one is my favorite) and is a great option for lunchboxes, potlucks, entertaining, or game day. In the summer months, I like to add this to my barbecue menu and use it for chili dogs and nachos.
Toppings for your chili
We like to top our chili with crushed tortilla chips, diced avocado, and some freshly chopped cilantro. If you’re in search of a dairy free cheese option, give the Violife Mexican Shreds a try.
On a scale of 1-10, I’d rate this a 4. It’s more smokey than spicy.
Be sure to choose a can of tomatoes with mild spiciness. Check the label as varieties can range from mild to hot.
Once cooked this chili will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Yes! Be sure to freeze your chili within 3 days of making it. Store it in an airtight freezer-safe container and it will keep for up to three months.
Other recipes to try:
Kid Friendly Turkey Chili
- 30 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 15 oz diced tomatoes with green chiles mild
- 15 oz can dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat your oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add your turkey and onions, and cook until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add in your garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 45 minutes.