If you’re looking for something totally indulgent and delicious, these Vegan Bananas Foster Pancakes are for you. Hot fluffy pancakes are smothered in a sweet, caramelized banana topping for a breakfast that’s over-the-top tasty. It’s the perfect dish to make for a holiday breakfast, to impress overnight guests, or just because you’re craving something sinfully delicious. The whole family will fall head over heels for this one and begin requesting it over and over again. Which is good news for you, because it’s easy to prepare and well worth the effort.
The banana topping is amazing on any of my pancakes, but my favorite pancake to use in this recipe is my Vegan Banana Pancakes (recipe included below). If you’re looking for something gluten-free, you can try my Gluten-Free Banana Pancake recipe. If you’re not vegan or would prefer a plain pancake, give my Fluffy Dairy-Free Pancake recipe a try. The topping is also great on oatmeal, nondairy ice cream, dairy free yogurts, or chia pudding.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you I will make a commission if you click through and make a purchase. This helps me run milkfreemom.com and provide you with free recipes and product ideas!
Vegan Bananas Foster Pancakes
For The Bananas
- 2 ripe bananas sliced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter substitute I used Earth Balance
- splash of rum or rum extract optional
For The Pancakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2/3 cup nondairy milk I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1 banana Ripe and mashed.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To caramelize the bananas:
- Melt your butter substitute in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Mix in your brown sugar. It will look pretty thick for a couple of minutes, but it should start to thin out.
- Stir for about two minutes, and gently add your bananas.
- Once you stir this for about a minute, your sugar should dissolve in to a syrup. If you need to, you can add an additional spoonful or two of butter substitute to thin it out.
- Let it all bubble together for another two minutes.
- If you’re using rum, remove your pan from the heat and then add the rum. Return the pan to the heat, and cook for at least a minute to burn off the alcohol.
- Serve hot over pancakes.
For the pancakes:
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, combine the “milk”, banana, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine well. Add more “milk” if the batter is too thick.
- Cook over medium heat in a nonstick skillet with a pad of nondairy butter until lightly browned and bubbles begin forming on underside. Flip and cook second side until browned.
- To serve, top your pancakes with a scoop of the caramelized bananas and a drizzle of maple syrup. A dollop of dairy free whipped cream is also great on these!
If there is a more heavenly dish than this, I have yet to try it. Brown sugar and butter combined with the flavor of warm banana and a hint of rum is a combination I never get tired of. Combine that with hot, fresh, fluffy pancakes and warmed maple syrup? Absolutely divine.
Pin these Vegan Bananas Foster Pancakes for later: